Les SAAB RAARissimes!

L'histoire de la marque, les faits marquants actuels et passés...
alan

Re: Les SAAB RAARissimes!

Message par alan » dim. juil. 18, 2010 6:10 am

Reçu de Jim, mon pote du Minnesota, j'ai rajouté les liens en bas de page.

Hello, SAABistes in US and Europa!

Through the time and generosity of old friend, Rich Stadther, I had the great fortune to examine in close detail this delightful little SAAB-powered Jabro race car. I wanted to share this little jewel with all of you.

This 1959 Jabro Mk 3 is powered by a two-stroke triple. The block number of 709484 shows it to be a “standard” 850cc, with what I believe is a casting date of 2 June 1964. The 12-bolt cylinder head is number M-716 508, which is an “850 GT” item (higher compression ratio with this?).

This motor foregoes the typical triple-Solexes for a big, classic Weber DCOE 40. I’ve never seen this carb or manifold on a SAAB, and I’m curious if this unusual set-up is as efficient as the “straight shot” that the Solexes get through the ports. In any case, it looks and sounds great, and the motor certainly doesn’t have any breathing troubles, if 6200 rpm is any indication. There is a short (50 seconds) video of the car running, for anybody who would like to hear it: I wish I had track video!

The bird cage tube frame is a lovely thing to behold. As fragile as it appears, it is apparently more than adequate. The super-light chassis, fiberglass bodywork, and magnesium wheels help to keep the weight down to approximately 400kg (“wet” and with a full tank of fuel). Pictures don’t convey the extremely compact dimensions of this little car, but if you consider that those genuine vintage Halibrands are only 12” diameter, you can get a size reference.

Another unusual element is that this is the only SAAB-powered race car I have seen that is front-engined and rear-wheel driven. The Quantums, Sonetts and rally cars, of course, were all front-wheel drive, with the exception of the Quantum IV “Formula S” which featured a rear-mid engine placement. Other Jabro-SAABs were built, but from what I can find most had a rear-mid engine layout driving through a Fiat 600 transaxle. This 2-stroke powers through a BMC 4-speed transmission (Sprite 1275), to a quick-change rear-end and solid axle.

The Jabro was a popular kit for SCCA racing in the late 1950s and early 60s. They were designed and engineered by James Broadwell (Ja-Bro!) and Ed Alsbury. Manufactured in St. Louis Missouri, the Jabro was a popular way to get into racing: It was simple, low-priced, and competitive. Designed to fit into SCCA’s H-Modified class, most had Crosley drivetrains and components. H-Class (I think...) was a 45 cubic inch class (750cc), so the Crosley OHC motors were perfect. But as is normal in competition, racers got creative and fitted their cars with every possible engine that slotted under the limit. I've seen H-Class and midget racers with Harley-Davidson, Triumph cycle, Panhard, and DKW motors. The car in these pictures would have originally been fitted with a 748cc unit from a 93. No Jabro production numbers exist anymore, but I've seen late chassis numbers in the low two-hundreds.

I’m told this car had a troubled and unsuccessful competition history, with mechanical failures plaguing it with regularity. Apparently, Rich has sorted these problems out: The car goes beautifully, reliably and is stronger and faster than the Crosley competition. Rich has been acting as custodian of this car for its owner. He has greatly enjoyed racing it in vintage events this year, and is off to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania at the end of this month for one more race before surrendering the car back to its owner. (There is also a very lovely ’57 Crosley Special in his garage that I will share photos and info about, if anybody is interested). I met Rich and his wife Liz some twenty-plus years ago through the local chapter of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club, and it’s always a pleasure to see them again at car events around the Twin Cities. They have both been active drivers in vintage events, and Liz runs the website for the Vintage Sports Car Racing website (vscr.org). Splendid people, whom I wish to deeply thank for the opportunity to check out this Jabro-SAAB.

http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=we ... V3f325Ligw

http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=we ... g8QHaq3jtg

SirBeuark

Message par SirBeuark » dim. juil. 18, 2010 6:00 pm

Merci Alan !
Si quelqu'un veut une traduction, je peux le faire :)

petitsaabiste

Message par petitsaabiste » sam. déc. 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Et celle-ci. J'en revais la nuit quand j'étais gosse :bounce:
Désolé pour la mauvaise qualité...
Quelqu'un connait la base, moi oui!
Je vous ferai l'histoire après :sol:

doum-doum

Message par doum-doum » dim. déc. 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Désolé mais fouille les tréfonds du forum, j'avais déjà mis les scans de cette revue, que j'avais acheté à l'époque. Beau travail de carrosserie.

petitsaabiste

Message par petitsaabiste » mer. déc. 08, 2010 11:27 am

Désolé mais fouille les tréfonds du forum, j'avais déjà mis les scans de cette revue, que j'avais acheté à l'époque. Beau travail de carrosserie.
CARAMBA! Encore raté!!!! :fou:

Après maintes recherches dans les abysses du SSC, pas trouvé. :pfff: La voilà donc à sa place.
Quelques infos quand meme...
La base une Saab 99 ems gris métallisé. Réalisé par Leif Melberg en 1981 et après 1700 Heures de travail. :bounce: Un Suedois.
Capot et tableau de bord d'une 900 avec moteur turbo. Le nom: BLUE SPIRIT
Elle fut vendue à Julle Lewickle en Californie. Elle fut exposée chez Saab en Suede qques années. En 1989 elle était à nouveau en vente au prix de 30.000 euros et avait perdue sa belle couleur.(voir photos de mauvaise qualit) Depuis pas de nouvelle de cette magnifique Saab entièrement réalisé en acier!! :pt1cable:

petitsaabiste

Message par petitsaabiste » mer. déc. 08, 2010 11:34 am

Et celle-ci du meme Leif Mellberg :sol:
Saab 906 Turbo. Allongée de 60 centimètres et réhaussée de 12 centimètres à l'arrière. Sièges,portes intérieures et ciel de toit recouvert de cuir Brun. Réalisation en 1983.

petitsaabiste

Message par petitsaabiste » mer. déc. 08, 2010 11:47 am

Suis en forme aujourd'hui!! :bounce: Une petite dernière....
Je retente le mystère... :???:

ip900

Message par ip900 » mer. déc. 08, 2010 11:59 am

Suis en forme aujourd'hui!! :bounce: Une petite dernière....
Je retente le mystère... :???:

mesimages/4853/femfef.jpg
mesimages/4853/hkfd.jpg
mesimages/4853/fddd.jpg
La console semble rehaussé!? et le levier plus court du coup!! ce qui ne doit pas être mal!!!

petitsaabiste

Message par petitsaabiste » mer. déc. 08, 2010 12:12 pm

Dans le cas présent la caisse a été abaissée de 7cm à l'avant et 15 à l'arrière :pt1cable:
La superstructure du moteur turbo 16 a été descendue de 4cm. Et les passages de roue élargis de 8cm. Une basse de 900 d'avant 1982!!

petitsaabiste

Message par petitsaabiste » jeu. déc. 09, 2010 11:56 am

Vu arrière...
Saab 900 turbo LACAR. Réalisation de Lasse Karlsson.

SirBeuark

Message par SirBeuark » jeu. déc. 09, 2010 12:07 pm

C'est sympa d'avoir repris le tour de capote du cab comme ça ! Bon je préfère toujours la 900 de série.. Ou même l'ev-1 :D

Laurent-13

Message par Laurent-13 » sam. déc. 18, 2010 11:17 pm

On direr un peut un mélange entre une 900 et une 9000...

Golfhunter

Message par Golfhunter » dim. déc. 19, 2010 2:45 am

Très beau coupé

EasyRider

Message par EasyRider » lun. déc. 20, 2010 9:23 pm

c'est du tuning enfaite ??

drik-viggen

Message par drik-viggen » sam. mars 19, 2011 5:04 am

Ce site n'a pas été donné il me semble
il y a des modèles sympa!!
http://www.pastonroot.co.uk/wright/saab1998.htm

behax

Message par behax » mer. avr. 20, 2011 8:47 pm

Je suis fan de la remorque !!! ;)

vavavoum

Message par vavavoum » ven. juil. 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Je ne sais pas si celle ci a déjà été présentée :

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Saab_90 ... ?ca=11&w=1

vavavoum

Message par vavavoum » ven. juil. 29, 2011 12:44 pm

This is a special handmade car built in steel, built by a famous cardesigner, Leif Mellberg, he has built many special cars for the SAAB Factory, this SAAB is built like a Ferrari Replica and this is the only one in the world. It took 12 months to build the car and the work was videorecorded, and the car was also a part of a musicvideo in Monte Carlo. The car has also been in carshows and won an award from BILSPORT Magazine

vavavoum

Message par vavavoum » ven. juil. 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Répondre

Revenir à « SAAB Historique »